Jet lag and travel sickness are due to a Vata imbalance caused by excess movement and can be reduced or avoided by following the recommendations below:
Before you fly:
- Ensure adequate rest and a good nights sleep the night before travel.
- Exercise, practice yoga, pranayama and meditation on the morning before travel.
- Take ginger pickle before main meals in the week preceding travel.
- Avoid cabbage, Brussels spouts and beans for 24 hrs before you travel.
- Massage sesame oil into the nostrils immediately before the flight.
- Apply lavender or sandalwood essential oil to temples, ears and forehead.
During the flight:
- Sip hot water with ginger and lemon or peppermint.
- Meditate soon after take off and then again after every two hours flight time.
- Apply lavender oil to handkerchief and sniff periodically.
- Avoid drinking alcoholic and cold drinks before and during travel.
- Read a light novel rather than work-related or hard-to-follow literature.
- Listen to soothing music.
- Take ‘No Jet Lag’ tablets and ‘Jet Ease’ tablets (www.garden.co.uk).
After the flight:
- Walk in nature and undertake some light exercise.
- Practice yoga, balanced breathing (pranayama) and meditate in the early evening.
- Have an early night.
During the holiday:
- Drink hot water (with lemon or fennel seeds) to maintain healthy, balanced digestion.
- Practice yoga, pranayama and meditation each morning and evening.
- Be sensible with the amount of time spent in the sun (cover up between 11am and 3pm).
- Apply coconut oil to enhance your tan, prevent burning and keep the skin moisturised.
- Aloe Vera (or ghee) with a little lavender oil for sunburn.
Before the return flight: See ‘before you fly’